• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland





    Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Sydney is responsible for issuing visas for the residents of Australia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu.


    All visa applications to be filed at a Polish consular office must be preceded by on-line registration of the application, in both cases, a Schengen visa and a national visa. Internet registration is available at:




    Poland is a part of the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them. These countries are: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.


    Citizens from some non-EU countries are required to hold a visa when travelling to the Schengen area. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa when crossing the external borders and a list of countries whose citizens are exempt from that requirement. These lists are set out in Regulation No 539/2001 and its successive amendments. Generally, a short-stay visa issued by one of the Schengen States entitles its holder to travel throughout the all Schengen States for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Visas for visits exceeding that period remain subject to national procedures (National Visas).


    Border guards have the sole right to decide on allowing third-country citizens into the territory of Poland/Schengen area. This applies to the third-country nationals exempted from the short-stay visa requirement as well as to those travelling with a visa issued by a consular authority.




    Australian passport holders are exempted from applying for a short stay visas.


    Short stay visa (C type)

    Citizens of certain countries must hold a short stay visa. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement.

    In exceptional cases, the territorial validity of a short-stay visa may be limited to one or some Schengen Member States, which makes it a Limited Territorial Validity Visa (LTV).


    Airport transit visa (ATV)

    Whether you are required to apply for a Schengen airport transit visa or not depends on your nationality.

    Citizens of some countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in any of the Schengen States, while citizens of certain countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in some of the Schengen States.

    You may be exempt from the airport transit visa requirement, if you:

    • hold a valid visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state; 
    • hold a visa valid for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States ;
    • hold a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area ;
    • hold a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return;
    • are a family member of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland ;
    • hold a diplomatic passport;
    • are a flight crew member national of a contracting party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.




    You must lodge the application for a Schengen visa at the Consulate of the country that you intend to visit, or – if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period.

    If you intend to visit several Schengen States and the stays will be of equal length, you must apply at the Consulate of the country whose external borders you will cross first when entering the Schengen area.

    As a general rule, you must apply for a visa at the Consulate with territorial competence for the country in which you legally reside. If you have doubts about this, e.g. there is no Consulate of the Schengen State that you intend to visit in the country where you reside, you should contact the nearest consular office of that Schengen State. There you can get information on whether that Schengen State is represented by another one in the country where you reside and where you should apply.


    The application must, in principle, be submitted to the Consulate at least 15 days before the intended journey and cannot be lodged earlier than three months before the start of the intended journey.

    This period may, in individual cases, be extended up to 30 days and, exceptionally, 60 days, if a more detailed examination of your application and/or additional documents are required.

    Personal situation of the applicant, unfortunately, cannot be taken into account. It is the applicant's responsibility to take all necessary measures to lodge his/her application on time. 

    In most cases, the Consulate recommends that you apply at least three weeks before your planned date of departure. 



    Your short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. At border or during other controls you may, for instance, have to provide information on your means of support, how long you intend to stay in the Schengen State, and why you are visiting the Schengen State.

    In some cases, such checks may result in a refusal for the visa holder to enter the Schengen State or the Schengen area.

    It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when you applied for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay). This will help to make the border control procedure easier and avoid delays at the border.

    The definition of short stay of non-EU citizens in the Schengen area is "90 days in any 180 days period".

    The short-stay calculator can be used for calculating the period of allowed stay. The user's guide contains information on these rules, the use of the calculator and practical examples.




    In order to apply for a visa, you need to produce:

    • a passport with at least two empty pages (excluding the observations/amendments/endorsements pages); the passport should have been issued within the last 10 years, must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date on which you intend to leave the Schengen territory, or, in the case of multiple journeys, the date on which you intend to leave after the last stay. 
    • a visa application form, completed and signed in point no. 37 and at the bottom of the last page of the application.
      Any person appearing in your travel document, travelling with you, must complete a separate application form; the visa application form for a child under 18 must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
    • one recent colour identity photograph conform to ICAO standards: (I) the photograph must be a full face photo, measures 3,5 x 4,5 cm with the head centred in the frame, taken within the last 6 months and must allow adequate identification; (II) the photograph must be a full-face view in which the applicant is facing the camera directly, showing both face and hair from the crown of the head to the top of the shoulders and the face should cover about 70-80 percent of the photo area, it is preferable that ears be exposed; (III) the photograph must have white or off-white background; (IV) head coverings are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and even then, may not cover any portion of the applicant's face; (V) sunglasses or other wear which detracts from the face are not acceptable, if glasses are required for medical reasons they cannot obstruct the view of any part of an eye (eyes must be clearly visible).
    • 10 fingerprints are collected from persons applying for a visa; (fingerprints and a digital photograph, along with data provided in the visa application form, are recorded in a secure central database -  VIS – Visa Information System; 

    fingers scans are not required from children under the age of 12 or from people who physically cannot provide finger scans; frequent travellers to the Schengen Area do not have to give new finger scans every time they apply for a new visa, once finger scans are stored in VIS, they can be re-used for further visa applications over a 5-year period;

    at the Schengen Area's external borders, the visa holder's finger scans may be compared against those held in the database. A mismatch does not mean that entry will automatically be refused - it may lead to further checks on the traveller’s identity.

    • a travel medical insurance covering emergency medical, hospitalisation and repatriation (including in case of death); the minimum cover should be of 30.000 EUR; this insurance must be valid for the entire Schengen area and throughout the duration of the stay.
    • various documents relating to the purpose of your stay, evidence of means of support during your stay and your accommodation.
    • a visa fee to be paid when you submit your application (see price list) - all fees are payable in Australian dollars and must be paid in advance; ayments must be made in cash, by money order or bank cheque payable to the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Sydney; personal and company cheques are not accepted; fees are not refundable and are subject to change without prior notice.
    • during the processing time the consulate may, in individual cases, ask you to submit additional information or documents or you may be contacted for an interview.


    In addition to the above, according to the COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING DECISION - C(2017) 5853 - of 30.8.2017, establishing the list of supporting documents to be submitted by applicants for short

    stay visas in Australia, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, South Africa, Thailand and Zambia, the following supporting documents should be submitted together with the visa application:


    1. General requirements irrespective of the purpose of travel:


    (a) proof of residence;

    (b) proof of visa status - VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online);

    (c) reservation of return or round ticket, including confirmation of the booking of an organised trip, a detailed itinerary for the entire trip in Schengen area;

    in the case of transit: visa or other entry permit for the third country of destination; tickets for onward journey;

    (d) proof of financial means in the country of residence (including recent bank statements showing movement of means over a certain period (minimum last three months);

    (e) proof of sponsorship and/or private accommodation (such as invitation from host) in form of an official invitation (ZAPROSZENIE), registered at a Regional Governor's Office in Poland (Urzad Wojewodzki).

    (f) if married or in a partnership, provide a marriage certificate or registered partnership agreement.


    1. Documents to be submitted by applicants depending on the purpose of travel:


    a) Tourism or visiting family/friends.

    A document from the establishment providing the accommodation or any other appropriate document indicating the accommodation envisaged.


    b) Business, conference, cultural, religious or political event.

    (i) Official invitation letter from a firm, host organisation, educational establishment or an authority to attend meetings, conferences or events, containing detailed information concerning:

    • address and contacts of the inviting entity;
    • name and position of the countersigning person;
    • purpose and duration of stay;
    • person or entity who will bear the travel and living costs (if applicable);

    (ii) Documents proving the applicants employment status in the company (for example: contract, proof of social security contribution).


    c) Medical treatment:

    (i) a certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution advising that the treatment is necessary;

    (ii) an official document from the receiving medical institution confirming that it can perform the specific medical treatment, an estimation of costs and an indication that the patient will be accepted accordingly;

    (iii) proof of prepayment or sufficient financial means to pay for the medical treatment and related expenses.





    This procedure applies to citizens from third countries who travel to a Member State other than the Member State of whose nationality a family member–EU citizen is or already stay in that country.

    The application for a visa is free of charge.

    An EU citizen is a citizen of an EU Member State, a citizen of a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) - a party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), a citizen of the Swiss Confederation.



    A family member of an EU citizen is:

    - a spouse,

    - a direct descendant of EU citizen who is under the age of 21 or is dependent and those of the spouse, living in the common household with EU citizen,

    - a dependent direct relatives of EU citizen in the ascending line and those of the spouse or living in the common household with EU citizen.


    Visa Requirements:

    - a completed and signed application form for a Schengen or national visa should be submitted by the applicant in person together with (filled on;

    - one photograph of passport style and size [35 x 45 mm] 

    - a valid travel document;

    - documents confirming the identity of an EU citizen and the family relationship with the applicant (the original marriage certificate, the birth certificate or other applicable certificates)

    - a proof of traveling to Poland together with family member of the EU citizen (i.e. a written statement issued by a EU citizen).


    Refusal to issue a visa:

    - The entry of the applicant takes place during the period of validity of the entry concerning the person on the list of foreigners whose stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland is undesirable or the stay of that person in the territory of the Republic of Poland may pose a threat to the defense or security of the state or to the protection of public security and public order or public health.

    Refusal is issued in form of decision by a consul. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will review the appeal.


    Legal basis:

    - ustawa z dnia 14 lipca 2006 r. o wjeździe na terytorium Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, pobycie oraz wyjeździe z tego terytorium obywateli państw członkowskich Unii Europejskiej i członków ich rodzin (Dz. U. z dnia 11 sierpnia 2006 r. poz. 1525) – transposed Directive 2004/38/EC of European Parliament and Council from 29th April 2004 into national law

    - ustawa z dnia 12 grudnia 2013 r. o cudzoziemcach (Dz. U. z dnia 30 grudnia 2013 r. poz. 1650 z późn. zm.).

    - ustawa z dnia 25 czerwca 2015 r. prawo konsularne (Dz. U. z dnia 31 sierpnia 2015 r. poz. 1274).





     Airport Transit visa A (ATV)

    97 AUD

    Short stay visa C (Schengen visa)

    97 AUD

    Long stay visa D (National visa)

    97 AUD

    Re-consideration of visa application

    97 AUD

    Visa for family members of EU citizens

    0 AUD




    Print Print Share: