• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • I. General information.


    The procedure of a change of a given name and/or surname in Poland is followed on the basis of the provisions of the Act on a change of a given name and surname of 17 October, 2008 r. (Dz. U.08.220.1414).

    The Act states explicitly that in order to follow the above-mentioned procedure in Poland, you have to have:


    1. Polish citizenship – confirmed by a valid Polish identity document with a photograph or a decision confirming Polish citizenship, issued by the competent Provincial Governor or a decision granting Polish citizenship, issued by the President of the Republic of Poland;


    2. The Number of the Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population, called the PESEL Number.


    A change of a given name and surname may concern a change into another given name/surname or a change of the spelling of a given name/surname.  


    The above-mentioned changes may be made only for valid reasons, in particular in cases when:

    - a given name or surname is disparaging

    - the applicant has been using a different name for many years

    - forename or surname was illegally changed

    - the applicant uses a name that is legal according to domestic law of the country in which the applicant lives and of which she/he is a citizen.

    - the reason for a change concerns a historical surname, famous in the area of culture, science, political, social and military activity, if the members of the applicant’s family bear such a surname.


    The changed surname may consist of no more than two elements (unless a surname is changed because of the change into a surname born in accordance with the provisions of the law of the country whose citizenship an applicant also has).

    After a change of a name, you may have no more than two given names.

    A change of a surname may concern both a surname born currently and a surname at birth, if an applicant declare it explicitly in his/her application.

    In case when the surname after marriage is the same as the surname at birth of a given person, a change concerns only the surname born currently, unless the applicant declares explicitly in his/her application that he/she wants to change his/her surname at birth as well.

    Children before the age of 18 are subject to all surname changes made by their parents. If one parent changes his/her surname and then wants his/her children to bear it, she/he should have the other parent’s consent. If the child attained the age of 13, she/he has to give consent for the change of his/her name.

    If parents cannot come to an agreement as to the change of a surname which will also affect their child, each of them may refer to the guardianship court to obtain the consent to the change of the child’s surname.

    In case of the persons domiciled outside the territory of the Republic of Poland, the consent to a change of a surname by the other parent and the child may be given in the presence the Consul of the Republic of Poland.


    II. The procedure followed via the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Sydney.


    Required documents that should be submitted to the Consulate:


    1. An application addressed to the Head of the Register Office competent according to the place of permanent residence in Poland, or in case there is not such a place, according to the applicant’s last place of permanent residence in Poland.

    A person who has never been a resident of Poland must include such information in his/her application, then the application should be addressed to the Head of the Register Office of the Capital City of Warsaw.

    The application should be signed with a given name and surname known in Poland (it applies only to the persons who were residents of Poland).

    Application form – for download.


    2. Full transcript of Polish Birth Certificate.


    3. Full transcript of Polish Marriage Certificate.


    a) a person who has not yet been married should include such information in his/her application;  


    b) a person who has been married abroad should attach a document concerning registration (transcript) of his/her marriage certificate [Information concerning registration (transcript) of a marriage certificate].


    4. Full transcripts of minor child’s birth certificate IF she/he is subject to surname change made by their parents.


    5. A document confirming the identity (e.g. an Australian driving license with a new given name and/or surname).


    6. A document confirming a change of a given name and/or surname in Australia - original. The document should be Apostilled and it should be translated into Polish.


    a) The translation may be made by an Australian translator. Such translation should be certified by the Consul – the fee is 49 AUD.


    b) The translation may be made by a Polish sworn translator.


    7. A document confirming Polish citizenship.

    A document confirming Polish citizenship is a certificate confirming Polish citizenship issued by the competent Provincial Governor, a decision granting Polish citizenship issued by the President of the Republic of Poland, a valid Polish passport or a new Polish identity card.

    8. A copy of an Australian passport with the given name and surname which are currently used.

    III. Other information.


    APOSTILLE may be obtained in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in each State of Australia. Addresses are available on the website:




    The spelling of all given names and surnames in the submitted documents should be unified.




    81 AUD – the fee for receiving a decision on a change of a given name and/or surname from Poland;


    49 AUD – certification of a translation by the Consul.


    The fees may be paid in cash, by bank cheque or money order. The Consulate does not accept personal cheques.

    Print Print Share: