• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • A birth certificate issued abroad (e.g. in Australia) may be registered in Polish Registry Office at the request of the concerned person. Legal basis - Civil Status Acts Act of 14 November 2014 r. (consolidated text from 2016, Dz. U. item 1688, as amended).

    In order to apply for a Polish passport, it is necessary to have a Polish copy of a birth certificate.


    An application for registration of a foreign birth certificate may be submitted personally or by mail.


    A foreign birth certificate is registered in Polish Registry Office of the applicant’s place of residence in Poland. If an applicant has no place of residence in Poland, local jurisdiction in cases of registration of civil status is established on the basis of the last place of residence in Poland (in case of children – it is the Register Office of the applying parents’ place of residence). If an applicant has never been a resident of Poland, the registration is performed in the Register Office of the Capital City of Warsaw.


    The documents necessary in the procedure of registration of a foreign birth certificate:


    1. An application for registration of a foreign birth certificate in Polish civil status register addressed to the competent Register Office in accordance with the following forms:


    - application form concerning a minor – for download;


    - application form concerning an adult – for download;


    - an application for registration of the birth certificate of a minor is submitted by both parents regardless of their citizenship;


    - the application should be signed by both parents;


    - if parents do not have a Polish copy of their marriage certificate, they should follow the procedure of registration of their foreign marriage certificate in Poland simultaneously (Information concerning registration of a foreign marriage certificate).


    2. The original foreign birth certificate with Apostille;


    3. A translation of the birth certificate


    a) made by an Australian translator who is entitled to make translations from English into Polish (a register of translators). Such a translation should be certified by the consul – the fee is 49 AUD;


    b) made by a Polish sworn translator.


    4. Valid photo ID or certified copy.


    If a foreign copy of a birth certificate does not contain all the data required by the Polish law, e.g. dates and places of birth or surname at birth – you should include a request for completion of a Polish birth certificate in your application.


    If a foreign birth certificate includes obvious spelling mistakes, the Head of the Register Office may correct them at the request of the concerned person or ex officio. Previously issued Polish copies of civil status records of the persons whom the certificate concerns or the parents’ copies of civil status records could be the basis for such a correction.



    1) Persons who were born in one of the European Union countries may send a so-called multilingual abridged copy of a birth certificate which does not have to be Apostilled.
    However, such a birth certificate must include the data concerning the mother’s maiden name. You should draw your attention to that when you collect the document from the competent office.


    2) The Consulate accepts only original documents. Certified copies will not be accepted. The submitted Australian documents and their translations will not be returned.


    3) The spelling of all given names and surnames in the submitted documents should be unified.


    4) An applicant should have a document confirming Polish citizenship (e.g. a certificate confirming or granting Polish citizenship, a valid Polish passport or a new Polish identity card).


    Apostille may be obtained in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in each State. Addresses are available on the website:

    The time of processing an application is approximately 3 months.



    81 AUD – preparation of the documentation concerning registration of a foreign civil status record in Polish civil status registers and delivery of a Polish copy of a civil status record issued on that basis.


    49 AUD – certification of a translation by the consul.


    The fees may be paid in cash, by bank cheque or money order. The Consulate of the Republic of Poland does not accept personal cheques.

    You may also register civil status records personally or via a person in Poland authorized by you to register your civil status records in the Register Office in Poland.


    Print Print Share: