• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland





    Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Sydney is responsible for issuing visas for the residents of Australia, Fiji, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu.


    All visa applications to be filed at a Polish consular office must be preceded by on-line registration of the application, in both cases, a Schengen visa and a national visa. Internet registration is available at:




    Poland is a part of the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them. These countries are: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.


    Citizens from some non-EU countries are required to hold a visa when travelling to the Schengen area. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa when crossing the external borders and a list of countries whose citizens are exempt from that requirement. These lists are set out in Regulation No 539/2001 and its successive amendments. Generally, a short-stay visa issued by one of the Schengen States entitles its holder to travel throughout the all Schengen States for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Visas for visits exceeding that period remain subject to national procedures (National Visas).


    Border guards have the sole right to decide on allowing third-country citizens into the territory of Poland/Schengen area. This applies to the third-country nationals exempted from the short-stay visa requirement as well as to those travelling with a visa issued by a consular authority.




    Australian passport holders are exempted from applying for a short stay visas.


    Short stay visa (C type)

    Citizens of certain countries must hold a short stay visa. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement.

    In exceptional cases, the territorial validity of a short-stay visa may be limited to one or some Schengen Member States, which makes it a Limited Territorial Validity Visa (LTV).


    Airport transit visa (ATV)

    Whether you are required to apply for a Schengen airport transit visa or not depends on your nationality.

    Citizens of some countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in any of the Schengen States, while citizens of certain countries must hold an airport transit visa when transiting through the international parts of airports situated in some of the Schengen States.

    You may be exempt from the airport transit visa requirement, if you:

    • hold a valid visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state; 
    • hold a visa valid for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States ;
    • hold a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area ;
    • hold a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return;
    • are a family member of a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland ;
    • hold a diplomatic passport;
    • are a flight crew member national of a contracting party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.




    You must lodge the application for a Schengen visa at the Consulate of the country that you intend to visit, or – if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period.

    If you intend to visit several Schengen States and the stays will be of equal length, you must apply at the Consulate of the country whose external borders you will cross first when entering the Schengen area.

    As a general rule, you must apply for a visa at the Consulate with territorial competence for the country in which you legally reside. If you have doubts about this, e.g. there is no Consulate of the Schengen State that you intend to visit in the country where you reside, you should contact the nearest consular office of that Schengen State. There you can get information on whether that Schengen State is represented by another one in the country where you reside and where you should apply.


    The application must, in principle, be submitted to the Consulate at least 15 days before the intended journey and cannot be lodged earlier than three months before the start of the intended journey.

    This period may, in individual cases, be extended up to 30 days and, exceptionally, 60 days, if a more detailed examination of your application and/or additional documents are required.

    Personal situation of the applicant, unfortunately, cannot be taken into account. It is the applicant's responsibility to take all necessary measures to lodge his/her application on time. 

    In most cases, the Consulate recommends that you apply at least three weeks before your planned date of departure. 



    Your short-stay visa does not automatically entitle you to enter the Schengen area. At border or during other controls you may, for instance, have to provide information on your means of support, how long you intend to stay in the Schengen State, and why you are visiting the Schengen State.

    In some cases, such checks may result in a refusal for the visa holder to enter the Schengen State or the Schengen area.

    It is therefore recommended that you carry with you copies of the documents which you presented when you applied for the visa (e.g. letters of invitation, travel confirmations, other documents stating the purpose of your stay). This will help to make the border control procedure easier and avoid delays at the border.

    The definition of short stay of non-EU citizens in the Schengen area is "90 days in any 180 days period".

    The short-stay calculator can be used for calculating the period of allowed stay. The user's guide contains information on these rules, the use of the calculator and practical examples.




    STEP 1 – registration in the e-konsulat system

    Every visa application must be filed through our on-line registration system available at: Once you have filled out your application form, you have to print it, sign it, and deliver it (together with other supporting documents) in person to our office on your scheduled appointment date no sooner than 3 months and no later than 15 business days before your planned entry into the Schengen Area. Please note that we do not accept applications submitted by post, courier or anybody else than the applicants themselves. This requirement is stipulated in EU law.

    ATTENTION: a person who already has been issued a Schengen visa within the last 4 years or who is applying for a national visa may be exempted from the obligation to appear in person by the Consul. In order to obtain such a permission, the person applying for a visa should email the Consul an application for justifying the release from the obligation of a personal appearance at the Consulate and send it to:

    STEP 2 – at the Consulate

    While applying for a visa, each applicant has to present documents listed below:

    Original application form for Schengen/National visa with a bar code, electronically filled in, completely and legibly and signed by the applicant (or by the legal guardian for children).

    • Passport/travel document valid for at least 90 days after the applicant's last day of stay in Schengen territory, with at least two blank pages, issued within the previous 10 years. If the applicants are not citizens of Australia, the proof of legal residing is needed to be presented (print out from the VEVO system).
    • One recent passport size color photo. Colour photograph 3,5 x 4,5 cm, sharp, clear and contrasting, printed on a high quality paper on a white background, no older than 6 months and enabling the identification of the applicant, en face, showing clearly the eyes and face from both sides from the tip of the head to the shoulders so that the face takes up 70-80% of the photo, depicting the person without headgear or headdress, looking into the camera, with closed lips, and so that the face is not covered by hair. In the case of persons wearing glasses, the following requirements must be met: undimmed lenses, the frame must not cover any part of the eye, no light reflections may be visible. PPP
    • Round trip air ticket and itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit of the territory from Schengen states. If more than one entry is required, a reason must be provided.
    • Official Invitation from person to be visited registered at the District Authority Office in Poland (Urząd Wojewówdzki) - required when physical or legal person invites the applicant to the Republic of Poland and is going to provide accommodation and financial support. For business: an official business letter from a company in the Republic of Poland ev. other Schengen countries and from employer stating purpose of the visit. In case of a tourist visit: the booking from a travel agency; or in case of an individual visit: prepaid reservation of accommodation. For conferences: invitation letter issued by the hosting organization, confirmation of the participation issued by the hosting organization; receipt of payment of the registration fee. In case of an entry for an educational or other scientific or professional training purpose: the certificate of the receiving institution, the certificate of the envisaged place of accommodation in the Republic of Poland. In case of an entry for the purpose of medical treatment: the certificate from the receiving health institution, including reference to the fact that the expected coverage of the medical treatment is available, and other certification of the coverage of the medical treatment, as well as the confirmation of the accommodation in Poland. For the purpose of cultural/sports activities: accreditation proving the participation in the sports event or contract with the Polish sport club, or the certificate issued by the delegating sport club /Olympic Committee/ Ministry of Sport/Ministry of Culture, etc. For work: a Work Permit obtained by the applicant issued by his/her prospective employer and a promise of an employment contract. Accommodation and medical insurance paid in advance for at least the first month.
    • Employment letter/ letter from school or University
    • Proof of financial funds for the stay at the territory of Schengen States. It could be: an original income certificate from the employer or a bank account statement for the last three months or a pension slip or a certificate of registration; in case of an individual entrepreneur or one-man firm a valid e-ticket together with a confirmation of prepaid accommodation. In case of minors, a written declaration of the legal representative regarding the coverage of all costs is additionally needed.
    • Proof of valid travel/health medical insurance for entire duration of the stay in Schengen territory (schedule of benefits) with person’s name, policy number, period and amount covered (AUD equivalent of 30.000 Euro).
    • Marriage certificate (if married) in English or in Polish, or if it is in another language, its translation into English or Polish has to be submitted.
    • For children under 18: unabridged birth certificate and certified parental consent from both parentsIf only one parent has guardianship of the minor, the relevant court documents must be presented.
    • Proof of payment (only cash or bank transfer)

      Schengen/National visa: 97 AUD

      Visa of the minors: 97 AUD

      Our bank details:

      Commonwealth Bank

      BSB: 062 124

      Account: 1038 5948


      Account's holder: Polish Consulate in Sydney



      STEP 3:  collection

      After the application has been accepted by the Visa Officer at the Consulate, the applicant will be given a slip with a possible date of collection of the passport. Usually the procedure takes about 15 working days. There is no need to make an appointment for the collection of the passport. 


    Visa Checklist



    Valid passport (min. 3 months).




    Signed (at 2 places) application form




    One colour photograph (a full face photo of3,5 x 4,5 cm with the head centred in the frame) taken within the last 6 months




    Flight ticket (e-ticket)




    • Tourist visa: Hotel reservation (paid in advance)/ confirmed tour booking
    • Visiting family or friends:  invitation (Zaproszenie) registered at the local Governor's Office in Poland (Urząd Wojewódzki)/ Hotel reservation (paid in advance) - if applicable; When married to a Polish citizen, please provide Polish marriage certificate together with the spouse’s Polish passport
    • business - a letter from a sending company, providing details on the nature of aplicant's business trip and accepting responsibility for the coverage of all the related costs and an invitation letter from a receiving company in Poland (a business partner/client) indicating the need for further visits (mandatory if you apply for a multiple entry visa or visa with the extended validity); Hotel booking;
    • studying - a certificate of enrolment and a proof of payment for the first year tuition; Accommodation booking (paid in advance for at least the first month)
    • working (paid employment) - a Promise of a Work Permit in Poland obtained for the applicant by his/her prospective employer OR an employment contract (if Work Permit is not required); Accommodation booking (paid in advance for at least the first month)




    Proof of medical insurance with details of the insurance company (clearly stating the name, surname of the person, period and amount of insurance and its validity in all countries of the Schengen Zone)




    Valid re-entry visa to Australia (current VEVO system print out)




    Proof of sufficient funds - recent bank statement covering last 3 months in original or a notarized copy; internet printouts have to be signed and stamped by the bank




    Confirmation of current employment OR school/university enrolment




    Detailed travel itinerary




    Marriage certificate, if married - a marriage certificate in English or Polish or if prepared in other language, together with its translation into English or Polish)




    Visa fee of 97 AUD (payable by cash, bank cheque or money order)




    For the return of the submitted original documents, choose one of the following options:

      ¨ Pick up in person from Consulate 

      ¨  a self-addressed prepaid envelope enclosed with application   

      ¨ add 7 AUD to the consular fees (for the total of 97 AUD)  to cover the cost of return postage by registered mail





    This procedure applies to citizens from third countries who travel to a Member State other than the Member State of whose nationality a family member–EU citizen is or already stay in that country.

    The application for a visa is free of charge.

    An EU citizen is a citizen of an EU Member State, a citizen of a Member State of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) - a party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), a citizen of the Swiss Confederation.



    A family member of an EU citizen is:

    - a spouse,

    - a direct descendant of EU citizen who is under the age of 21 or is dependent and those of the spouse, living in the common household with EU citizen,

    - a dependent direct relatives of EU citizen in the ascending line and those of the spouse or living in the common household with EU citizen.


    Visa Requirements:

    - a completed and signed application form for a Schengen or national visa should be submitted by the applicant in person together with (filled on;

    - one photograph of passport style and size [35 x 45 mm] 

    - a valid travel document;

    - documents confirming the identity of an EU citizen and the family relationship with the applicant (the original marriage certificate, the birth certificate or other applicable certificates)

    - a proof of traveling to Poland together with family member of the EU citizen (i.e. a written statement issued by a EU citizen).


    Refusal to issue a visa:

    - The entry of the applicant takes place during the period of validity of the entry concerning the person on the list of foreigners whose stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland is undesirable or the stay of that person in the territory of the Republic of Poland may pose a threat to the defense or security of the state or to the protection of public security and public order or public health.

    Refusal is issued in form of decision by a consul. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will review the appeal.


    Legal basis:

    - ustawa z dnia 14 lipca 2006 r. o wjeździe na terytorium Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, pobycie oraz wyjeździe z tego terytorium obywateli państw członkowskich Unii Europejskiej i członków ich rodzin (Dz. U. z dnia 11 sierpnia 2006 r. poz. 1525) – transposed Directive 2004/38/EC of European Parliament and Council from 29th April 2004 into national law

    - ustawa z dnia 12 grudnia 2013 r. o cudzoziemcach (Dz. U. z dnia 30 grudnia 2013 r. poz. 1650 z późn. zm.).

    - ustawa z dnia 25 czerwca 2015 r. prawo konsularne (Dz. U. z dnia 31 sierpnia 2015 r. poz. 1274).





     Airport Transit visa A (ATV)

    97 AUD

    Short stay visa C (Schengen visa)

    97 AUD

    Long stay visa D (National visa)

    97 AUD

    Re-consideration of visa application

    97 AUD

    Visa for family members of EU citizens

    0 AUD




    Print Print Share: